Monday, January 29, 2007

Can this yarn be saved?


I thought that I was all hip to Kool-Aid (tm) dying, because I had successfully dyed sock yarn with the stuff several years ago, and it turned out great. (pink, yellow, and cream base-color yarn) The socks were a different story, but the yarn looked good.

Last week I decided to dye 400-some odd yards of Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool purple and red. I used the grape and cherry, with a splash of pink lemonade. After two goes, what you see on the left appeared before my eyes. It looks awful, doesn't it? Trust me, it's even worse in person; the purple is faded and blah, the red and pink are fighting for dominance, and my eyeballs are losing the fight.

I am extremely reluctant to give up, that's 400 plus yards of perfectly good wool that would make a great scarf or a hat and mittens, once the color issues are taken care of. And the wool feels like something that will wear well and keep me warm. I had turned my nose up at the Lion Brand yarns because I'm an inveterate fiber snob, but I may have hit onto a new way to get hand-dyed yarn without killing my bank account or causing my mate to give me "the look".

But first I have to get this skein to resemble colors I would wear (anywhere, not just in public)


Wish me luck!

Results posted Wednesday.

No comments: